Have you ever had the feeling that you have seen one too many golf tournaments. You listen to sport journalists waxing lyrical about the beauty of the game and you want to choke. They all seem to be very much interested in what they are doing yet you do not see what the fuss is about. Have you ever wondered why some people seem to be enamored by the sport?. In this rather skeptical article, we go through some of my reasons for thinking that golf can be something of a bore.
- “There are far too many tournaments for my liking.” There is only a certain amount of golf events that one can take in a year, especially since they are interwoven by even more popular sports events. If you are not a sports fun, television can become a living nightmare during the summer months.
- “.The commentators take themselves too seriously.” I often want to scream when I listen to yet another pious observation by a golf commentator about the grace or class of some obscure player. They then make it worse by referring to people back in the history.
- “The undisguised elitism of some of the participants in golf tournaments gets up my nose.” There are all sorts of wonderful stories of people insisting on personal servants wearing flimsy clothing. I find all these shenanigans extremely boring and unbecoming.
- “The average age of the participants is often the wrong side of pensionable ages.” I know I am growing old but I do not want to switch on the television and be reminded in no uncertain times that I am growing old and very soon will be wearing my cap to boring golf tournaments. I prefer to live in a fantasy land where I never grow old or grow old at a reasonable rate. That is my excuse anyway.
- “The pace is just too slow for my liking.” When you watch football or rugby, it all happens within the space of two hours. With golf, they do like to take their time and you can stand there for hours before it is even clear that anyone is going to win. It seems like an endless merry go round and I want none of it.
- “The dominance of some players has begun to irritate.” Is there no one out there who wants to challenge him? What makes it even more annoying is the notion that somehow all players have accepted this domination and will make no effort whatsoever to overcome him.